[Sca-cooks] Middle Eastern clothing and food

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Thu Dec 10 13:28:42 PST 2009

If I remember correctly (as it has been a long time since I read up on it)
Most dance movements can be traced back to the 19th century and a few to the
18th century. The Cabaret style or "Egyptian" style became noticed in the
late 1800s and early 1900s and reaching a height of popularity in the 1920s
and 30s. I believe there was a woman by the name of Little Egypt that
popularized it.
There was a specific style of dance that was considered sacred from other
folk dances found in Persian around the 12th and/or 13th century with
origins from Egypt and I think the Turkish had a "sacred dance" with origins
from the orient dating around the 14th century. Whether these two sacred
dance were the same? I don't know. Were these dances Belly dancing? I don't
know but others believe they were.
I did find this site that has compiled websites on the subject but I don't
think it has been gleaned for good vs. bad sites.
http://www.joyofbellydancing.com/bdhistory2.html

De