[Sca-cooks] A couple of questions-

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 12 22:33:57 PST 2009

On Dec 12, 2009, at 5:55 PM, Stephanie Yokom wrote:

> Is "whipped cream" period?

Some recipes contain descriptions of making a whip-like tool by splitting a stick, which suggests it wasn't a standard tool in most kitchens.

The most common opinion seems to be that what modern Americans call whipped cream, which is sweetened and lightly flavored with vanilla or another flavoring essence, is what used to be known as Creme Chantilly, which probably dates from the seventeenth or eighteenth centuries.

> Is "alfredo sauce" period?

There is no such thing as Alfredo Sauce, therefore it cannot be period ;-).

Fettucine Alfredo, which is a pasta dish, is modern, apparently dating from the 1920's.

Adamantius (who also disavows the existence of Caesar Salad Dressing for similar reasons)

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter