[Sca-cooks] Candy Thermometer

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Dec 17 09:24:33 PST 2009

Some of the digital thermometers have pot clips on them--that's the kind
you want.

[Short aside about thermometers for the four people on the list who might
not know, and yes, I'm procrastinating doing real work, how did you
guess?]

This actually applies anytime you are measuring the temperature of
something that is in a pot, whether it is candy, oil, or soup, or if you
are measuring the internal temperature of something solid like a leg of
lamb. The thermometer measures the temperature of whatever is surrounding
the business end--if the end is resting against the bottom or side of the
pot, or if the probe is right next to the bone, then that is what you are
measuring the temperature of, rather than the food.

So, a digital oven thermometer is fine, provided that there is some way to
suspend the probe in the pot without touching the sides or bottom. Just
tossing it in will most likly get you the temperature of the bottom of the
pot.

Margaret FitzWilliam