[Sca-cooks] Fyletts in Galentyne

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Dec 8 03:53:39 PST 2009

Elise Fleming wrote:
> Doc's Medieval Cookery site says that it is a sauce for meat which is
> thickened with bread crumbs.  Cindy Renfrew's site says that it is a
> cold dish with meat in jelly, or something similar.  Modern
> definitions include the idea of an aspic or jelly.  One site says that
> "galentine" possibly comes from the Latin "gelata" meaning "jelly".  I
> rather like what Hieatt and Butler say in their Glossary in "Curye on
> Inglysch". They, too, mention "jellied juices of meat or fish..." but
> note that the term was "transferred to the sauce...thickened with
> bread crumbs and spices".  Some galentyne sauces were served cold,
> some were served hot, according to Hieatt and Butler.  They continue
> (down the long reference) that it could be the name for the "spice(s)
> alone or with breadcrumbs".  So, in this recipe, it's meat in a sauce
> thickened with breadcrumbs.

I made this in camp at September Crown (Labor Day weekend). I was
feeding 10. It was very popular and there were no leftovers. I made the
version in the _Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery Books_. I also concluded
that is was meat in a thickish sauce.

Must note here- I did not add blood. The recipe reads "... and strayne
it on blode,  with ale, or else saunders," by which I understood the
blood to be generally a coloring agent, and that it was either blood
~or~ saunders. I have saunders in my big spice box, so I used it.
> Is it a stew?  How do you define stew and how thick is it?  The recipe
> I sent says not to make it too "chargeaunt" (thick).  It didn't need
> to be served in a bowl the way some people's stews are.  (I like thick
> stews with only a little "juice".)
My sauce came out roughly applesauce-thick. Thin enough to be sopped up
with bread, thick enough to not be running all over (and into one's
lap). And we were using plates.

'Lainie

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore