[Sca-cooks] Fyletts in Galentyne

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 8 04:34:39 PST 2009

Adamantius wrote:
 >I was always under the impression that _most_ galantine recipes
 >contained galingale, but Hieatt claims this is not so. YM, and your
 >opinion and/or findings, MV.

In Hieatt and Butler's glossary for "Curye on Inglysch", definition #2
says "a spiced sauce thickened with breadcrumbs, usually containing
galingale - probably as a result of false etymology; in some MS versions
of IV 131 the two words are confused II 68, 69, etc".

So, some galentyne/galentine sauces contain galingale, but possibly
because the cook thought that's what the sauce had to contain because of
its name, and hence the confusion.

For those without the book, IV 131 is "Lamprouns in galyntyne" which
uses galingale and NO thickening agent.  IV 130 is "Laumpreys in
galyntyne" which does contain galingale but also contains bread, blood,
and a number of common spices.  So, in 130, there is a thickening agent
but not in 131.

The recipe in II 68 is for lampreys with galingale, ginger and canel.
No bread or thickening agent but 69 has bread but no galingale, although
it's called a "galentyne".  Ain't medieval cookery fun??

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com