[Sca-cooks] lampreys

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Dec 11 09:02:27 PST 2009

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2009, at 12:21 AM, H Westerlund-Davis wrote:
>
>> This brings up a previous conversation my husband and I have had regarding foods like this... what would possess a person to not only try eating a lamprey, hagfish, tomatos et al. and then create dishes with these ingredients?
>> Aelina
>
> I'm not sure anyone ever ate hagfish with any regularity. As for
> lampreys, chop off its head and for culinary (and even anatomical)
> purposes it's an eel.

Aaaaactually, hagfish are apparently a delicacy in Korea. They're really
quite cool, unlike lampreys which are just icky. They're oceanic vacuum
cleaners, eating dead things off the sea floor. Did you know that they
can sneeze? And they tie themselves in knots?

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Eptatretus_stouti.html

Margaret FitzWilliam, hagfish apologist