[Sca-cooks] Turducken and stuffed things

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 9 17:07:02 PST 2009

Bakus the Crockist posted his introduction to this list.

Greetings Bakus, welcome to the SCA-Cooks list!

I have saved some messages on cooking period foods in a Dutch oven and
suggestions on what items do well cooked this way. When my time
permits I will be creating a Florilegium message (-msg) file from this.

<<< I hav already been asked to provide the feast at a large gathering
next may and they want me to bring my competition BBQ to recreate a
period version of turducken but to continue stuffing up to a hog. What
I have so far is the hog stuffed with a small lamb stuffed with the
turkey, duck and chicken. I have calculated cooking time will be 36 to
48 hours at 275 modern degrees F. My first questions are: Is there
record of the recipe for this dish and what
is it called. Was there some sort of stuffing in between each layer of
meat or?  >>>

Johnnae replied with:
<<< Stefan has a file in the Florilegium http://www.florilegium.org/
called
meat-stuffed-msg - 4/20/05
Period recipes for various things stuffed into a meat shell. Farced
meat. >>>

Thanks, Johnnae. I'm not sure if you were thinking of just stuffing
inside meat, which is what I was originally thinking was all that was
in this file, or of the stuffed camel story, which it turns out, I did
put in this file. So yes, if you are wishing to outdo the period folks
you may have to scale things up a bit. :-) .  And yes, there are some
sources in the Florilegium for camel. I don't think it is whole, though.