[Sca-cooks] mushrooms

Kerri Martinsen kerrimart at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 11 11:37:10 PST 2009

Killer mushroom soup:
I got 2 portabellos in the markdown produce and made this out of it...NOM

Portobello Mushroom Soup Recipe

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
3 Leeks (white and pale green only) : CHOPPED
1 Medium onion: CHOPPED
10 ounces Portobello Mushrooms:CHOPPED (should make four generous cups.)
1/4 cup Flour
3 cups Chicken stock or broth
4 TBS Dry Sherry
2 cups Half and Half
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Ground white pepper to taste
Directions:
Melt butter in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add leeks and
onion; saute until soft. Add mushrooms and saute 5 min. Reduce heat to
low. Add flour; cook until mixture is smooth, stirring occasionally
for about 3 min. Gradually stir in stock, half & half and 2 TBS of the
sherry. Bring the soup to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and
simmer until thickened, about 10 min. Stir in Cayenne pepper. Season
with the white pepper and salt. Stir in the remaining Sherry and bring
to a simmer. Serves 6.

NUM.

Vitha