[Sca-cooks] Soup and eggs question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 11 13:48:49 PST 2009

Helen asked:

<<< I am looking at the Savoury Soup for a Feast of about 125-150
quests.

It states to float poached eggs in the servings.?

the soup will be served either by pitchers or by a soup tureen, if I
can borrow them from a fellow member.

Now, we are talking about a lot of poached eggs, here.

What would be the most feasible route?

A) Poach the eggs the morning of and try to keep them fresh by
chilling them in the fridge, covered in plastic warp? Unwrap and
float in the hot liquid for a few minutes just before serving.

B) Hard boil them, peel and slice in two, floating the halves in the
soup.

C) Prepare them as stuffed eggs and serve on a platter besides the
soup, along with stuffed mushroom caps, flat bread points and herb
butter. >>>

I don't think either B or C come that close to what the original
recipe is trying to achieve. Poached eggs are not hard boiled eggs.
The later is boiled in the shell where the former has the eggs broken
over and cooked in a hot/boiling liquid. Different textures and if
poached in a liquid other than water, such as a soup, more flavorful.

I assume that you are either making the soup on site or warming it
back up. The big difference between making a soup or a few or a large
group is the difference in surface area to volume. You probably can
not poach all the eggs at the same time for a large group. However,
it probably doesn't hurt to boil the soup for a while once it has
gotten hot enough to poach the eggs. So I would poach them in
batches, setting them aside as they get done. You don't want so many
eggs in the soup at one time such that they merge into one large
mass, but they shouldn't take that long to poach.

After all of the eggs are poached, I imagine they can all be placed
back in the soup to warm up again. Since by that time the eggs should
be cooked, you shouldn't have a problem of the eggs merging into a
large mass. Or when serving, start with some eggs in the soup tureen
or pitchers and add more as the first ones are served.

Helen, thank you for your compliment on the Florilegium. Just in case
you haven't found it, this file in the FEASTS section might also help
you with some of the other logistics of serving soups at an SCA feast.
serving-soups-msg (18K)  4/14/07    Serving soups at SCA feasts.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com