[Sca-cooks] Lentils, lentils everywhere....

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun Jan 4 21:29:53 PST 2009

Joyce's Lentil Chili

1 c lentils
2 1/2 c water
1 tsp salt
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 15 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 tsp oregano
1 lg onion, minced and sauteed
opt.- 1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained (if you add beef, saute the
onion with the beef)
opt.- 1 can kidney or black beans

Bring water and lentils to boil, then cook at medium for 20-30 minutes,
until the lentils are softened. Add tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes,
chili powder, salt, garlic, and oregano, then the onion and beef, and
extra beans. (I also like to add a little bit of cumin and a pinch of
baking cocoa.) Turn down to medium low and simmer for 1 hour. Really
good with cornbread, even better the next day!

'Lainie

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore