[Sca-cooks] Topics for Classes for Scholas

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 12:49:44 PST 2009

Something I have been thinking about, but haven't been able to do, is do a two part class on redacting period recipes. This probably would be a better class for Pennsic or some other war.  The first part is a lecture class giving the theories and your practical experience in redaction.  The second part is dividing the class into groups, giving each group the same recipe, the same ingredients and access to a campfire, a propane stove, and cooking utensils, etc.  At the end of the class, everyone presents their redaction and everyone gets to taste what was made.  It could be a kind of expensive class, but you should divide the food expenses between all of the students.  You can also scrounge equipment, stoves etc., from friends and groups or ask that the students bring what they can.  This would give your students good, practical experience in redaction.  You should be on hand to advise each group if they get stuck or have questions.

Huette