[Sca-cooks] Topics for Classes for Scholas

Euriol of Lothian euriol at ptd.net
Sun Jan 18 14:08:58 PST 2009

I just taught a class similar to this last year at Pennsic (as well as KWCB
and a Cook's Collegium held in East Kingd), but not to the extent of
actually cooking. What I did after I went through an example of redacting a
recipe under the lecture, was to break the class into small groups and let
the groups pick one of the translations I provided. Each group worked out a
draft redaction of the recipe. The last few minutes I had the class come
back together to share the impressions of the recipe and the draft redaction
they came up with.

At my home, a week from today, I will have a "Redaction Party". This is
where I'll be sure to have ingredients on hand for several recipes and then
the people will come to my home, make their redaction and then cook it.

The West Kingdom Twelfth Night Wooden Spoon competition is very similar to
your thoughts on providing the same recipe. The minister of the Wooden Spoon
publishes a couple months in advance a recipe in its original language. The
competitors are expected to translate and redact this recipe. It is amazing
to see the various interpretations that people have on the same recipe.

Euriol