[Sca-cooks] Early Irish food

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 10 05:29:04 PST 2009

On Jan 10, 2009, at 8:01 AM, Etain1263 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/9/2009 11:20:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> sclemenger at msn.com writes:
>
> What's  in that, besides oats and leeks?
> milk...or, if you want to be decadent: cream!   and a bit of  salt.
>
> Etain

The recipe I've been using for years calls for half milk and half
stock as the primary liquid (remember this is a soup, not a porridge,
so you may want to use less of a one-to-four oats-to-liquid ratio),
with just a bit of cream added at the end.

Here's some bozo's previous post, found in the Florilegium:

> Loosely adapted from Malachai McCormick's "Irish Country
> Cooking" (the best Irish cookbook I've seen), but apparently of much
> greater antiquity, having been mentioned and described in the
> writings of St. Colmcille, c. 597 C.E. There's no telling how the
> original differs from this, though. I am assuming that Colmcille's
> dish was a bit more austere.
> Brotchan Foltchep, a.k.a. Brotchan Roy
> Serves 6
> 3 or 4 medium-size leeks, about 1 1/2 pounds
> 1/4 to 1/2 stick butter (1 - 2 ounces)
> 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
> 2 cups milk 1/2 cup heavy cream
> 3/4 cup raw, steel-cut porridge oats, like McAnn's
> Parsley (flat Italian, chopped) for garnishing
> salt and white pepper to taste
>
> Wash the leeks well. They are usually muddy and sandy. Remove any
> visible dirt or grit. Trim off the root ends and discard. Starting
> at the white, root ends, slice the leeks thinly. Place in a deep
> bowl of cold water, and rub the leeks between your hands, gently, to
> separate the rings and encourage the last of the grit to sink to the
> bottom. Lift the leek slices off the surface till the bowl has
> nothing left in it but water and mud. Drain the leeks in a strainer
> and set aside.
>
> In a large, deep saucepan, bring the stock and milk to a simmer.
> Stir in the oats, bring almost to a boil, and simmer for 20-30
> minutes, or until the oats are done.
>
> While the oats are simmering, melt the butter in a deep saute pan,
> over low heat. Sweat the leeks for five or ten minutes, until they
> begin to soften. When the oats are about half done, add the leeks
> and their butter to the pan of soup. The leeks and the oatmeal
> should be done at the same time.
>
> Take the pot off the heat, stir in the cream, and season with salt
> and white pepper to taste. Garnish with the parsley.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter