[Sca-cooks] Topics for Classes for Scholas

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Jan 18 09:59:33 PST 2009

In a message dated 1/18/2009 9:31:29 AM Eastern Standard Time, euriol at ptd.net
writes:

<<My
question is then, what type of classes regarding cooking would you like to
see taught?>>

What level students are you considering?

If it's a newcomer's academy, then a basic class on available foodstuffs and
some non-threatening things to taste would be great.  Or, I have a class that
looks at commercially available cookbooks that might have period recipes in
them, how to decide how trustworthy they are, and how to decide which one suits
your needs, which usually goes over pretty well.

At the Known World Cooks and Bards Schola, there was a more advanced class
that looked at available AngloSaxon foodstuffs and some conjectual recipes.  The
teacher had some ingredients available and there as a small kitchen, so we
kind of got on a Anglo-Saxon cooking brain and tried to come up with plausible
stuff.  We made griddle cakes with honey, butter and flour and baked them on a
tray on top of the woodstove, made some poached pears, and two of us made
(very different) pork pasties.  It was a tremendous amount of fun, but you really
needed to have a good background in historical cookery for it to work.

Brangwayna Morgan
Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
Lancaster, PA
steps!