[Sca-cooks] cookbook review files updated and RSS added to the Florilegium

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 26 23:37:18 PST 2009

As some of you may have noted, I have been rather slow in updating
the cookbook review files in the FOOD-BOOKS section of the
Florilegium. Part of the problem was that the third file was already
so big that it needed to be split into at least one more file and the
longer I waited the more material you and others created and the more
effort it would take.

Well, this last weekend I summoned my courage and tackled this chore
and here is the result.

updated files:
cookbooks3-msg   (102K)  1/23/09    Reviews posted between 1/98 and
7/99.
cookbooks4-msg   (110K)  1/23/09    Reviews posted between 8/99 and
7/00.

New files:
cookbooks5-msg   (104K)  1/23/09    Reviews posted between 8/00 and
1/07.
cookbooks6-msg    (66K)  1/23/09    Reviews posted after December 2006.

I've also uploaded this new article:
Caliphs-Ktchn-rev  (6K)  1/10/09    Review by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis
of "Annals
                                        of the Caliphs' Kitchens".

I have also been working on adding RSS feeds to the Florilegium. I
think I may finally have it working somewhat. Until I find my problem
with FTP I will have to generate and upload the new RSS messages by
hand. While I think I have things working correctly, I have limits to
how well I can test this. So if any of you already have your systems
set up to receive RSS feeds and would like to add the Florilegium,
please do so and let me know how well it works for you.

Since I've not been a reader of RSS feeds in the past, I'm also still
trying to figure out how much description to give to each update and
whether to trim some of the formatting to make things more tightly
spaced. So any input or suggestions on this would be welcome as well.

For those not sure of what I'm talking about, RSS feeds allow you to
be updated when new material is added to a website without having to
periodically go there. I believe that many of the latest web
browsers, including Safari, already have the ability to handle RSS
feeds without extra programs.

I plan to use the RSS feed to announce when files are updated or new
ones or added and occasionally when some new feature is added to the
Florilegium. For more information about RSS see: http://
rss.softwaregarden.com/aboutrss.html

Stefan
--------