[Sca-cooks] Rice and servings

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 5 12:07:12 PST 2009

On Jan 5, 2009, at 2:51 PM, Gretchen Beck wrote:

> The problem is that we're looking at "serving" without defining what a
> serving is -- how much cooked rice do you get from x amount of
> uncooked
> rice is a better question (I don't remember whether the ratio is 2:1
> or
> 3:1). If know what size serving you want, then you can use that to
> figure
> out how much rice to cook (rather than letting the seller tell you
> how big
> your servings should be)...
>
> toodles, margaret

With certain exceptions, such as basmati or sushi rice, the most basic
rule is 1R (volume measure) + 2W = 3(R+W). One volume measure of rice
plus two of water equals three measures of cooked rice, since the
water doesn;t so much evaporate as get absorbed. As I recall,
parboiled rice (which was invented in India, I believe, Uncle Ben
notwithstanding) requires a little more water, and short grain rice, a
little less.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter