[Sca-cooks] dulse?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Jan 8 13:53:44 PST 2009

I am sure that seaweed will do.  It isn't as though we have hundreds
of people experimenting with or thousands of recipes using seaweed.

It's defined on the web as "dark purple edible seaweed of the Atlantic
coasts of Europe and North America [syn: Irish moss, carrageen,
carageen, Chondrus crispus]"
There's a chapter titled "Sea Vegetables" in Cowan & Sexton's Irish
Traditional Foods (1997). It covers dulse or dillisk, carrageen moss, sloke,
and kelp. They are also mentioned in Brid Mahon's Land of Milk and Honey.

I created the cream for a contest at an Irish themed event. The contest
required it be Irish and have some sort of historical connection with
Ireland.
As you recall Ireland is one of those countries where they started
publishing cookery books very very late, so no there is not a pre 1600
printed Irish recipe.
I did have an authentic Irish recipe from an older Irish cookbook. As I
recall you steeped the moss in a heavy cream
and added sugar. Would have simmered it until it thickened and then it
was molded in a shamrock mold.
It set up and unmolded very easily. It was a pretty dish... pale green.
Tastewise-- not so good.
And my collection of Irish books are mostly boxed, especially those that
I would have had available in 1979-80.
So no I can't tell you which book it came out of. I suspect that if I
had them available I could find it, but that's
not an option.
There is a website here with recipes and more information on Irish Moss
and the North American angle.
http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/PrinceEdwardIslandHarvest/moss_e/recipe02.html

Johnnae