[Sca-cooks] Early Irish food

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 9 12:24:48 PST 2009

On Jan 9, 2009, at 1:19 PM, Kathleen A Roberts wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 13:17:38 EST
> Etain1263 at aol.com wrote:
>> Yes!  Please send Stefan a copy....provided he gets it on the site
>> in  a timely manner (hint! hint!, Stefan!)  I'm particularly
>> interested in  anyting to do with the "27 foods from milk" I found
>> mentioned in one of my  sources.  I can't come up with that
>> many...including yogurts, cheeses, and  sour milks!
>
> interestingly enough, i am coming up with a reference to what seems
> to be some kind of honey butter -esque spread. cream boilded with
> honey until thick.  odd that.

Do we have any indication it is a spread?

> i will keep those 27 in mind as i go along.

Let's see...

Milk (Fresh)
Milk (Sour)
Cream
Butter
Buttermilk
Whey
Junket
Curds
Cheese (Fresh/Soft)
Cheese (Aged/Hard)
[Not sure if we want a category of soft aged cheeses]
Syllabub/Hatted Kit, etc.
Drisheen (a blood pudding made with milk)

Pottages made with milk, such as Brotchan Foltchep/Brotchan Roy may or
may not count as separate foods. I STR seeing a reference to tripe and
onions being braised in milk, and then there are various milk-based
sauces. Not sure how modern some of these foods are, though, or
whether they're imports, and if so, from when?

Cheeses and other products of cow's milk may be held as distinct from
the same products made from sheep's milk. Or not...

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter