[Sca-cooks] Beef stock

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Jan 10 19:16:25 PST 2009

> Red wine and mushrooms turn up in late 18th and early 19th century recipes
> for brown stocks and sauces, at around the same time tomatoes are entering
> the mainstream European culinary repertoire. I don't think there's a huge
> body of evidence to suggest that brown stocks as we know them are much
> older than the practice of adding tomatoes to them.

Rumpolt calls for "braune Brühe" (brown broth) in some of his recipes
and "ein braune Brühe/ die
du von einem Braten hast abgegossen/" ([I think] a brown stock that you
have got from a roast).

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Try "has drained from."  It's a compound verb consisting of the adverb "ab"
(from) and a form of the verb "giessen" (to pour, spill, flow, etc).

Bear