[Sca-cooks] Two New (to me) Books

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Jan 11 05:30:59 PST 2009

I mentioned the new Menagier translation in my list of forthcoming books
in the fall.

It's still supposed to be out this month but it's not yet been released.
https://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/cup_detail.taf?ti_id=5265
I suspect that it may be quite interesting. The authors are:
Gina L. Greco is Associate Professor of French at Portland State
University.
Christine M. Rose is Professor of English at Portland State University.

Quite a price difference between the 69.00 hardcover and the 25.00
paperback.
Be sure and specify the paperback if you don't want to pay that
additional money.

I suspect Devra will carry it.

The Henisch book seems to have escaped me back in August. She's the author
of Fast and Feast and The Medieval Calendar Year which were published in
the US years
and years ago. The former is on feasts and feast customs and dates from
the age of the first edition of Pleyn Delit.
It was published in 1977. Still worth reading.
The later volume is on calendar customs.
Prospect Books brought out her Cakes and Characters in 1984 but it's
been out of print
for a decade or longer. It was on Christmas Cakes and Christmas figures.

http://www.boydell.co.uk/43834383.HTM   has the details

It's not due out until February 19th, 2009.

I am also waiting for Plenti and Grase: Food and Drink in a
Sixteenth-Century Household.

Hope this helps

Johnnae

        by Mark Dawson to be published.