[Sca-cooks] Feast nightmare

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 12 00:00:35 PST 2009

Johnnae mentioned:

<<< Not to take advantage of the situation, but I'd push for a
whopping big discount
on the rental fees from the school. Unless it was in the contract that
they could cancel without warning, I'd expect a reduction.>>>

Feast stewards (and Event Stewards) should read the site contracts
with care before anything is signed.

Several years ago we were a week or two from our annual Yule Revel
and the church we had contracted with, cancelled our reservation.
You try finding an alternate, inside location with only a week or two
to go in DECEMBER in a metropolitan area!  We usually sign up for and
usually put down non-refundable reservation money six months or more
in advance for that event.

And legally there wasn't anything we could do about it. There was a
clause in the contract that allowed the church to cancel any event at
any time at their whim for their own use.  Perhaps needless to say,
we have never used that site for any event since then. Luckily
someone in the barony was able to get us space at their church. I
don't think we had to reschedule the event, although I don't remember
for sure.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas