[Sca-cooks] Topics for Classes for Scholas

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 18 10:23:09 PST 2009

On Jan 18, 2009, at 9:30 AM, Euriol of Lothian wrote:

> My kingdom (and of course there is always Pennsic) has several events
> through the  year where classes are taught. I would like to put
> together a
> couple of new classes, and find myself stumbling for specific
> topics. My
> question is then, what type of classes regarding cooking would you
> like to
> see taught?

I don't know if this helps you (being more workshop-oriented), but a
project I've been interested in is more in the nature of semi-
intensive, immersion tracks in various subjects, such as pasta work,
pastry work, sugar work, sausage making, etc.

These are all subjects that I keep hearing people don't do, but have
either never tried anything like it, or tried one thing which failed
for some reason, and now the entire category is a closed-door-subject
to them: I can't do that, I just don't seem to have the knack for
that, etc.

For me, the important question is finding something that the class can
prepare in bulk and then use in six or seven (or more, or fewer)
different ways:

*What can we do with this unleavened wheat-flour pasta dough?
	-- We can take some and make loseyns, some for macrows, some for
hares in papdele, some for rauioles, some for kuskynoles, some for
tartlettes, etc.

*What can we do with all this boiled sugar syrup?
	-- We can take some and make Manus Christi, some to make payn ragoun,
some for penydes, we can cast some in pretty shapes in molds, etc.

I think spending a day in this way gives the student (assuming all is
successful, no explosions, no fistfights, etc.) a sense of
accomplishment because they made a bunch of stuff, but also a chance
to see slightly different behaviors from the same materials, in order
to get a better sense of how to control effects, deal with problems,
etc. And at the end of the day, fewer people saying they don't make
pastry.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter