[Sca-cooks] Gulf Wars BBQ competition - sigh

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 19 08:50:23 PST 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 11:12 AM, Michael Gunter wrote:
> We aren't having a chili competition. That's the difference. If a
> group was
> having a party and giving barbecue to the masses, we wouldn't really
> have
> a problem with it. Although I would someday love to have a big kingdom
> party and serve beer, ale, wine, cider and period munchies. Just to
> show you
> can actually enjoy period fare.
>
> I will probably get into trouble for posting this rant because as
> King I need to
> support my people. But as a Cooking Laurel I'm feeling terribly
> squicky about
> the whole thing.

Well, ignoring it and/or not participating doesn't seem to be having
the desired effect; I think we're up against a cultural variant
wherein it is assumed that one can either do things historical in the
SCA, or have fun, but not both (the inherent fallacy is not the issue;
just the fact that the idea is out there).

So, if you try to stamp out the contest, you're clearly not fun.

What you can do is an entry of period food that is somehow related to
barbecued food (yes, there's a broad range and people tend to become
evangelical on their own particular brands of orthodoxy). How about a
nice boiling pit full of hot stones and a leg of mutton? Or maybe a
lovely presentation of carbonadoes (or whatever floats your boat as
being the best period equivalent)?

Your objective is to make it clear that this is, or can be, in the
hands of a competent cook, top-notch food, and if it's different from
(and therefore in some vague way perceived as inferior to) pit-
barbecued brisket (or whatever), that'll be offset by the fact that
it's both good food _and_ something that period people ate.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter