[Sca-cooks] Gulf Wars BBQ competition - sigh

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 19 18:59:30 PST 2009

HRM Gunthar said:
<<< So we have been informed of a Barbecue competition to be held
at Gulf Wars. They want the Royals to be judges in addition to a
"Bean Drop" populace vote.

There has even been talk of Food Network coming out to film it.

Um...why is my head about to explode? >>>

Yes, this has been on the 'nets for a number of weeks. And yes, that
was my reaction when I first read about this several weeks ago, even
though I am not Royalty or a Peer. I particularly dislike any outside
PR such as Food Network. They do need our permission to come on site,
but denying it now after they have been contacted doesn't work well
from a PR point of veiw, either.

Even if you did put on a "beer, ale, wine, cider and period munchies"
at the same time, guess which one would get most of the attention and
air play from Food Network? Even a first class, well done Royal
banquet feast would probably not change that.

<<< I know the people involved have put a lot of work into this and
think
it will a really fun event. But it just makes me twitch. Especially the
Food Network thing. That's all we need to continue the stereotype
that the SCA is nothing more than a trumped up Rennfaire who doesn't
even attempt at historic accuracy. What is next? A turkey leg
competition?  >>>

Well, at least for the SCA time period, the turkey leg is period.

<<< Although I would someday love to have a big kingdom
party and serve beer, ale, wine, cider and period munchies. Just to
show you
can actually enjoy period fare. >>>

So what would folks suggest for period munchies?

<<< I will probably get into trouble for posting this rant because as
King I need to
support my people. >>>

More so than supporting the ideals of the Society and the Laurels?

<<< Now, wet chemise competitions? THAT'S entertainment! >>>

Now who can give me evidence of that being period? Of course I've
seen some very sheer, gauzy linen, including in period illuminations.
Maybe you wouldn't have to wet them to be period...

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com