[Sca-cooks] More on Jai/Buddhist Delight, was, Re: OOP: Tentative Lunar New Year Menu

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 20 19:09:36 PST 2009

On Jan 20, 2009, at 9:54 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

>  here's a quote from the Buddha his ownself on the subject of meat
> and fish being eaten by Buddhist monks:
>
> http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma3/meat.html
>
> According to that source, they're not barred from eating meat or
> fish; they're primarily barred from killing meat or fish, or eating
> meat or fish that has been specifically killed for their benefit.
>
> As far as I can tell, therefore, going to the butcher shop and
> buying, cooking and eating a steak is out, but one could argue that
> since dried seafood is a storehouse item not specifically killed for
> the monks to eat (the whole point of drying it being to extend its
> shelf-life and therefore broaden its versatility). Essentially, a
> piece of fresh meat from the butcher shop is a murdered animal,
> while dried shrimp, oysters, and scallops, are more like inert
> storehouse grocery staples.

The wikipedia article on Buddhist Delight also indicates that dried
seafood as an ingredient (mostly dried oysters, as well as quail eggs
and, apparently, fresh/undried shrimp) is sometimes included.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_Delight

As I say, I've seen many, many recipes for jai which include oyster
sauce, so apparently the idea of a strictly vegan interpretation is
actually rarer than one might think.

I can't find any recipes calling for dried scallops as an ingredient;
this could conceivably be a nod to the fact that my wife is aware of
my loathing of dried oysters, except in the form of oyster sauce.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter