[Sca-cooks] period finger/party foods

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 20 21:46:25 PST 2009

I asked:
  <<< 1. To whom is the party open to. anybody or only peers and
royalty?
2. When will it be? >>>

Though Jane and Angelo held a party at Gulf Wars last year (at least I
assume it went off - I missed it being at Duncan's Vigil on the other
side
of Calontir's camp), Calontir has not generally held a party at Gulf
Wars in
many years. That said, I've no clue what TRMs Luther and Mearwynn
plan. >>>

Okay. I'm not usually one in the 'in' circle so I usually don't learn
of such things. This is one reason I have really liked the "bardic"
and "revel" that started showing up at Pennsic several years ago.

<< As far as who the party is open to... A party open only to peers
and royalty
would be so far separated from Calontir culture that I think it is
safe to
say its bloody unlikely to happen.

Fernando>>

Thank you. I don't like just wandering into a party not knowing
whether I'm invited or not.

<<< I believe there is plans to have a party at Estrella, and Pennsic.
The Calontir Cooks guild a few years back brainstormed on how to get
people
hooked on period food "Taste of Calontir" is what came up. About 4
(maybe
more) events a year they have a table with samples of food and the
recipes.
This seems to have put recipes in the hands of people who normally are
interested in things other than cooking but is willing to make an
effort to
add to the ambiance of a potluck party. Also we do have a lot of
people that
like to cook, especially in Grimfelles. :)

De >>>

I think these 'tasting tables' may have been talked about on this
list several years ago. If anyone is interested in some more details,
or anyone wants to add some comments pro or con, here is the file I
assembled. In the FEASTS section of the Florilegium:
tasting-tabls-msg  (8K) 11/28/07    Introducing people to medieval
foods using
                                        food samples and tasting tables.

How is distributing the recipes handled? Is there just a centralized
stack of recipes/redactions that someone has printed off?  Is there a
separate stack of recipes at each dish?

Locally I do try to get folks to consider making a period dish for
pot lucks and such. There are a number of folks (like me) who are
unlikely to ever cook a feast but are willing to try a single dish or
two from time to time.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas