[Sca-cooks] Martino recipe

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Jan 21 14:41:28 PST 2009

So you are looking for the spices that might be found in "with salt and
good spices that have been mixed together"?
Sometimes it helps to look at another version of the same text, so I
have been looking at the Octavo edition.
Gillian Riley uses the words "nice spices."
She notes that "His recipes take quite a bit for granted,... and he does
not feel the need to specify
what he means by bone spezie (mild spices), spezie dolce (sweet
spices), or spezie forte (strong spices)."

I suspect in fact that the unspecified spices should have been more
along the lines of
pepper, cloves, and cinnamon or cassia and not herbs. (I know cinnamon
and fish are not
thought of together these days.)
This version of Martino allows for keyword
searching so I can in fact look for an ingredient throughout the manuscript.
For example--- Parsley, marjoram, and mint are specified for the open
tart of pigeon or fowl and marjoram
is again specified in the veal olives and veal meatballs.
I have to wonder if he'd wanted marjoram with the fish, if he wouldn't
perhaps have specified marjoram.

BUT if the recipe worked for you and the marjoram worked with the
tilapia, then I'd certainly count
the entire venture a great success.

Johnnae