[Sca-cooks] OOP - 1917 Chinese Cookbook E-text

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 27 11:52:28 PST 2009

On Jan 27, 2009, at 2:17 PM, rattkitten at bellsouth.net wrote:

> And it causes me to wonder, (Please don't shudder Master A) but are
> dumplings as we know them (wontons egg rolls and the like) a Chinese
> American invention or does he simply not cover them...

I think he's simply not covering them. It's kind of like having an
American cookbook without having a recipe for oatmeal or bacon and
eggs; it's not that we don't eat those things but a lot of cookbooks
might be said to focus on dinner-type items (although there _are_
sweet and pastry-type dishes provided, so it's an interesting question).

Also, a minor point, but if, as I suspect is the case, he's a
Southerner, he might have been more familiar with wonton recipes from
Kwangtong, Shanghai, places like that, whereas what most Americans are
familiar with as "dumplings" are more Northern and Western-style (West
of China, that is, not Texas) incarnations.

> I mean with the "Soup Buns" I would think that they are Chinese but
> then I have never been o China.
> Educate us Admantius...

What I know as soup buns are largely a Shanghai thing; generally a
steamed bun made with a yeast-leavened dough, but rolled out somewhat
thin like the more standard pasta-dough-type wrapper. The filling is
either cooked or raw meat with extra jellied stock mixed in, so
they're extremely juicy when cooked, and ideally are eaten rather
defensively with a Chinese porcelain soup spoon under the chin. (In
Taiwan they're flat and fried on both sides on a griddle and called
pancakes, but they have the juicy filling like a soup bun).

I don't see anything like that in there, but Master Shiu does provide
us with some sort of steamed roast pork bun or Big Bun type of recipe
under the heading, Chinese Meat Biscuit (he appears to use Biscuit
instead of Bun across the board). My wife was ogling the dough portion
of that recipe (it's a yeasted wheat-flour dough with a little sugar,
lard and a healthy dollop of mashed potato) with appreciatively raised
eyebrows and saying, "Hmmmmmmmm...."

> Oh yeah Thanks Like A Gazillion times for that link!!!!!!!!!!
> I know what I am making tomorrow night.... Well ok not really but I
> know where the recipe is coming from... LOL

My pleasure, really. I actually found it necessary to locate a paper
copy of this book myself, because I think I'll be referring to it
often...

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter