[Sca-cooks] OOP - 1917 Chinese Cookbook E-text

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 27 11:59:03 PST 2009

On Jan 27, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Susan Fox wrote:

> I'm finding this to be an adorable gold mine of Chinese-American
> goodness.  "Chinese Frankfurters" aka lab chung, my favorite
> sausages, yay!

Yep. I really wanna try the lamb lop cheung recipe!

>  And the bao dumlings we all adore are somewhat disguised as
> "biscuits."  Keep looking, RatNic, you'll find familiar stuff herein.

I especially liked the Primary Soup references; this is the stock that
gets used in place of water in almost all the soups, sauces, for
cooking vegetables, etc. It's quite recognizably a pork-and-chicken
stock very similar to the one we had for our Winter Melon Soup for the
past two days, until you get to the end, where, after the grease is
skimmed off the top, the last of the fat is simply incorporated into
the whole by stirring in, off the flame and presumably off the boil, a
cup of chicken blood.

Hmmm. I know where to get pork blood and duck blood, frozen, not far
from home... it's tempting to try this and see what it does.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter