[Sca-cooks] Atraf al-Tib

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jan 28 14:20:50 PST 2009

I am given to understand that "lisan" translates as "tongue of."  If that is
the case, you may be looking for a leaf rather than a nut.  Since my
knowledge of Middle Eastern languages is extremely limited, I'm loath to
challenge the erudition of skilled translators, but I would be interested in
how they arrived at their various translations, if only to keep me from
error.

Bear

<clipped>
> And finally the mystery ingredient:
> 12. lisan al-'asafir
> -- Arberry gave beech nuts, which is highly unlikely for several reasons
> (see below);
> -- Perry gives common ash, which has some potential;
> -- Nasrallah gives elm tree seeds, which i question - i should write to
> her again (we were corresponding during the summer) and ask for more
> details.
>
> I wonder if it might not be an ash-like plant, one of the many Zanthoxylum
> spp. The leaves are said to look rather like those of the ash tree, and
> the leaves as well as the berries/seeds are used as a seasoning. Besides
> being spicy and hot, the seeds also have a numbing quality, which is an
> essential part of their usage.

<clipped>