[Sca-cooks] Atraf al-Tib

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Jan 28 14:52:26 PST 2009

The phrase lisan al-'asafir appears in
A dictionary of Andalusi Arabic
By Federico Corriente
Published by Brill, 1997
You are going to have to loan it in or look for it in a library.
Google Books indicates it is in there, but content is restricted.

You can read about manna ash here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=bTdoTayyVrEC&pg=PA147&dq=manna+ash&ei=Y92ASZrSA4yyMc-UmSU
http://books.google.com/books?id=DXq-WdhsT1AC&pg=PA240&dq=manna+ash&lr=&ei=rd6ASdDtGKa-MuG58bII
http://www.henriettesherbal.com/eclectic/cook/FRAXINUS_ORNUS.htm
http://food.oregonstate.edu/glossary/f/fplant37.html
The various entries indicate that it yields a sap that is useful as a
laxative in children, so is it the seed, the leaf, or possibly a  sap?

I can find sources for the trees but haven't yet found a source for the
seeds or the manna.

Johnna

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote: snipped