[Sca-cooks] OP--recipes for jamabalaya?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 11 09:05:10 PDT 2009

On Jul 11, 2009, at 11:30 AM, Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps wrote:

> Was written:
>
>> Hi, gang.  I'm jonesing for jambalaya in the worst way, and thought
>> I'd give it a try making it from scratch, rather than adulterating
>> a couple of boxes of Zateran's.  Not finding much in my cookbooks,
>> and while I know I can look online, and find a plethora of recipes,
>> I thought I'd ask you all what your favorites are....
>> I've got chicken, and fish (tilapia and shrimp), and two kinds of
>> sausage I could use (a locally-made andouille, and some Spanish
>> chorizo).  Got the rice (using brown).  Got the onion and the bell
>> peppers.  Will use the broth from the chicken for the rice.....
>
> Just got back from two days offshore.  If you add some pork to those
> ingredients... doesn't paella come to mind instead?   Been ever so
> long since I've had some.

I think jambalaya is traditionally a moister dish than a typical
paella, but it's been claimed that the word derives from "jambon
paella", which would indicate the presence of ham, which many
jambalaya recipes do call for.

I'd think the missing ingredient, apart from ham, which might have the
sausage substituted, would be some chopped celery in with the other
vegetables mentioned.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter