[Sca-cooks] Bukenade?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 8 04:33:18 PDT 2009

On Jul 8, 2009, at 2:07 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Rather surprising, I don't think we've discussed this dish here. Or
> at least if we did, it didn't make it into the Florilegium. I have
> three mentions of it, but no recipes or redactions (unless it goes
> by different spellings).

Sometimes you'll see it as bukkenade. It's been mentioned before.

> It appears to be a sort of beef stew with red wine. I don't have a
> copy of Forme of Curye.

Oddly enough, beef stew with red wine may be the only version of
bukkenade I have never seen. What I usually make is from an earlier
recipe than the one in FoC, and involves veal or kid with chopped
onion, sometimes added herbs such as hyssop, IIRC, cooked in broth,
with the cooking liquid then thickened with egg yolks. It turns out a
bit like modern blanquette de veau.

If I had to generalize, I'd say that bukkenade is most often made with
a "white" meat  in a rich, pale-colored sauce. And yes, of course
there are variations.

> Can someone post the original recipe here, and then we can see how
> different people would redact it?

Here's the recipe from the FoC edition used for Curye On Inglysch:

19. Bukkenade. Take hennes o(th)er conynges o(th)er veel o(th)er
o(th)ere flessh & hewe hem to gobettes. Wasche it and see(th)e hit
well. Grynde almaundes vnblaunched, and drawe hem up with (th)e broth;
cast (th)erinne raysouns of coraunce, sugar, powder gynger, erbes
ystewed in grees, oynouns and salt. If it is to (th)ynne, alye it vp
with flour of ryse, o(th)er with o(th)er thyng, and colour it with
safroun.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter