[Sca-cooks] books on recipes in spain

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 15 19:28:31 PDT 2009

Antonia asked for Spanish recipes and then clarified with:

<<< I apologize for being so vague.  I am 16th century Spanish persona
and am
looking at that time frame of cooking utensils, spices, and so on.
Thanks
for the help! >>>

I'm afraid that most of what I have in the Florilegium is classified
more by food item or type or by culture and not by time period.

However, here are a few suggestions.

In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
fd-Spain-msg     (176K)  1/29/08    Food of medieval Spain. Cookbooks.

Some New World foods started to show up in Spain and Italy during the
16th Century. There was a close connection between parts of Italy and
Spain during this time, so this file may be of use:
NW-Fds-Italy-art  (62K) 10/15/06   "A time for change: new world foods
in old
                                       world menus", by Mistress
Helewyse de
                                       Birkestad.

In the FOOD-BOOKS section there is this file. I can't remember how
many are from Spain:
16thC-cookbk-bib  (11K)  3/ 2/00    A bibliography of 16th C. cookbooks.

Again, since many of the New World foods were showing up in Spain
during the 16th Century, some of the recipes for these foods show up
in my files on those specific food items such as:

In the FOOD-SWEETS-DECORATED section:
chocolate-msg    (130K)  2/29/08    History and description of early
chocolate.
3-Span-Sweets-art (13K)  4/26/01    Three Spanish sweet dishes from de
Nola by
                                        Vicente.
   (Sorry, I can't remember the time for these, but probably worth a
look)

In the the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
16C-Tomato-art    (16K)  9/ 5/02    "Sixteenth Century Italian and
Spanish
                                        Tomato References" by Johnnae
llyn Lewis,
                                        Helewyse de Birkestad, and
Brighid ni
                                        Chiarain.
peppers-msg       (60K)  4/18/08  The introduction of peppers to Europe.
potatoes-msg     (142K)  5/15/08  Period white and sweet potato use.
Recipes.
tomato-hist-art   (18K)  2/ 1/99  "You say tomato I say Xitomatl" by
Lord
                                      Xaviar the Eccentric.
Tomatoes-art      (22K) 10/15/06  "Love, Death or Mere Curiosity? The
Tomato
                                      in Renaissance Europe" by
Mistress Renata
                                      Kestryl of Highwynds
tomatoes-msg      (34K)  1/17/05  Tomatoes in period.

In the FOOD-BREAD-GRAINS section:
maize-msg         (64K)  1/10/08    Discovery of maize (Indian corn)
in the
                                        Americas and its introduction
to Europe.

Another approach that a lot of people find useful. Plug "Spain" and
maybe "16th" and "recipe" into the search engine available on the top
page of the Florilegium.

I hope this helps.

Stefan
--------