[Sca-cooks] Translations: Was Fadalat

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 18 12:32:54 PDT 2009

Suey wrote:
>Huici lived in Barcelona and actually came to Madrid to exchange notes
 >with la Granja as they were translating their works at the same time.
 >Huici he translated, from Arabic into Spanish, "Cocina hispano-magrebi
 >durante la epoca almohade: segun un manuscrito anonimo del siglo XIII"
 >which is the same thing Perry translated into English.

Well, technically, Perry didn't do *all* of the English translation of
the Anonymous Andalusian Manuscript (above).  Three of us - Stephen
Bloch, Janet Hinson and I - translated the Huici Miranda Spanish into
English around 1990.  During one marathon week when I was home from work
with laryngitis, I went back over Bloch's and Hinson's translations and
compared them to the Spanish version, making copious notes on the
discrepancies that I found.  (I had a more extensive Spanish background
than the other two so I was able to find places where their knowledge of
grammar slipped.)

David Friedman (Cariadoc) then gave this updated translation to Charles
Perry who went back to the Arabic manuscript which Huici Miranda had
used and with our English translation in hand, Perry honed and revised
where there were discrepancies.  Huici Miranda, according to some of
Perry's notes, mis-read certain Arabic words which Perry put right in
the English version.

There are a number of English-translated recipes where Perry did not
change any wording and those recipes are identical to our original
translations.  (Yes, I'm still "tickled pink" about that!)  I still have
a copy of Perry's letter to David Friedman with Perry's comments about
our English version.

Alys Katharine
--
Elise Fleming