[Sca-cooks] Menagier translations

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Jun 26 12:22:11 PDT 2009

>>Wednesday, June 24th, was the feast of Saint John the Baptist.
>>
>>For those of you who celebrate such things, a belated happy one to
>>you. For those of you who don't, you can still celebrate the official
>>date which, according to Le Menagier, you begin gathering your green
>>walnuts for making mixed preserves/compost
>
>Speaking of Le Menagier, there is yet another translation out (Gina
>Greco and Christine Rose, 2009).  I've lost track of how many there
>are into English and their degree of completeness.  I tried digging
>around in the Florilegium, but didn't see an article similar to the
>one(s) that compare Apicius translations.  Is there one, or do
>people here have strong opinions?  All I have at home is an old
>photocopy of the Powers version.
>
>Sandra

I haven't seen the new one. Last time I checked, the only complete
translation of the cooking section, or at least the only one I could
find, was the translation Janet Hinson (Mairoli Bhan) did long ago
that I included in Volume II of my collection. It's on my web page.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com