[Sca-cooks] Menagier translations

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jun 26 17:12:54 PDT 2009

Lots on Le Menagier--
The 1846 Pichon edition chapter with the menus and recipes is up in part
here. http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/
Pichon can also be found through the Bibliotheque Nationale.
There's also the Brereton edition from 1981.
/Le Menagier De Paris/: A Critical Edition:  by Georgine E. /Brereton/
(Editor), Janet Mackay Ferrier (Editor) *.
*(I don't know how many people actually own that one.
I bought mine at Blackwells in Oxford for Christmas in 1984. I see it's
up to $246 on the used
market now.)
There's also Le Mesnagier de Paris which is Brereton and Ferrier's
edition of Le Menagier de Paris translated into modern French by Karin
Ueltschi [Librairie Generale Francaise, 1994]

Englishwise--
Elieen Power translated the book in part and her The Goodman of Paris is
available
again in a new paperback edition.
Janet Hinson did the recipes and they are at
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier_Contents.html
They are indexed through Doc's website, so ingredients can be searched
easily.
See http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi/booksearch.pl

Greco, Gina L.; Christine M. Rose (2009). /The Good Wife's Guide: Le
Ménagies de Paris, A Medieval Household Book/. [Ithaca: Cornell UP]
is the new one and I think it is worth the money to have a new
translation at hand and on the shelf.

Johnnae