[Sca-cooks] OOP Question: Baked Fish

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 04:10:51 PDT 2009

Join the club...there are a lot of us out here!  Check out the South Beach
diet web site.  There are a lot of wonderful fish recipes there, and South
Beach was originally created for diabetics.  Tuna and salmon are among their
strong recommendations, but they also have recipes for other fish as well.

My favorite seasonings for fish include rosemary and tarragon.  Another
possibility is to find an Italian Vinaigrette salad dressing that doesnt'
contain sugar and use that as a marinade.  Just be very careful not to bake
the fish too long...it can turn very dry and unappetizing!

Here is one of the South Beach recipes:

Fish Kebabs

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 pound fresh halibut, scrod, swordfish, salmon, or tuna steak, cut 1"
thick
1/4 large red onion, cut lengthwise into quarters
1/4 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 2 wedges
1/4 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 2 wedges
2 cherry tomatoes, stemmed

1.    Combine the oil, juice, and mustard in an 8" x 8" glass baking dish.
Stir to blend. Cut the fish into eight 1" cubes. Add in one layer to the
marinade. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 5–10 minutes. Turn the
fish cubes to coat evenly and chill 5 minutes longer.

2.    Preheat the broiler. Drain the fish cubes, reserving the marinade.
Separate the onion layers slightly. Thread the fish and vegetables onto two
skewers, alternating fish cubes with onions, peppers, and tomatoes. Brush
the kabobs lightly with the reserved marinade.

3.    Place the skewers on a broiler pan and broil 4" from the heat source,
about 3 minutes. Turn the kabobs and brush again with the marinade. Broil
for 3–4 minutes longer or until the fish is no longer translucent and the
vegetables are tender-crisp.

Hope this helps!

Kiri