[Sca-cooks] Has anyone held a salt tasting?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 11 10:11:37 PDT 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 12:35 PM, Audrey Bergeron-Morin wrote:

>> Just one: Do not, do not, do not, use Indian black salt in pork
>> sausages. It
>> is very bad and will exact a terrible vengeance upon you.
>
> Now you *have* to tell the story...

Dead men tell no tales.

Seriously, though, my experience was that, either due to the salt
itself, and any impurities that may add to its character, or perhaps
to chemicals in the meat itself (which was pork), when reacting with
the salt, created a pretty powerful hydrogen sulfide whiff. The
sausages, which were otherwise unremarkable and made with great care,
frankly stank. I hoped that the fumes would dissipate in cooking. They
didn't.

My feeling was that the whole point of making sausages was to put
things into intestines, with a view toward the final product going in
the general direction of the consumer's intestines.

A constant and powerful reminder of (more or less) what comes *out of*
intestines would seem to me to be the antithesis of the sausage-
maker's art.

I won't be able to look at an Elizabethan recipe for Fartes of
Portingale in the same way again.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter