[Sca-cooks] Research on Period Chocolate

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 10 04:19:27 PDT 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 1:46 AM, David Friedman wrote:

>> According to Juan, the former chocolateer, this translation does
>> eventually describe, at least roughly, how to make the drink. But,
>> the problem he's having is that the source tends to describe and
>> expound upon the nature of various ingrediants '...consumes
>> flematic humours..." is one of my favorites so far, and with the
>> archaic prose, he sometimes pulls his hair.

You might mention, for what it's worth, that we might be able to help
explain the references to phlegmatic humors, for example, in layman's
terms.

For example, the most obvious ingredient that would consume phlegmatic
humors that you'd be likely to find in an early Mexican chocolate
recipe would be chiles: hot and dry offsets the cold and moisture
associated with phlegmatic humors.

Pretty good as an expectorant, too...

Adamantius

bellies."