[Sca-cooks] Recall on spices and food safety

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat May 16 13:02:58 PDT 2009

Here are some other news accounts:
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/articles/12165/spice-recall-additional.html
"The recalled products were distributed in the states of California,
Oregon and Washington to retailers, wholesalers, distributors,
restaurant suppliers and restaurants. ...
Salmonella was isolated from an open container of Lian How White Pepper,
which was found at a restaurant where some outbreak victims ate. After
discussions with the California Department of Public Health, Union Foods
agreed to initiate a recall.
Over 40 people in four states (CA, WA, OR, NV) have now been linked to
this outbreak of Salmonella Rissen - a rare but dangerous strain of
salmonella."

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/articles/12244/Salmonella-Spice-Lawsuit.html
"Health officials have reported 47 confirmed cases of Salmonella Rissen
in four states, including California (38), Nevada (4), Oregon (4), and
Washington (1).
Union International Food Company has ceased the production and
distribution of the contaminated spices as the FDA and California
Department of Public Health continue to investigate the nature and full
extent of the outbreak. The contaminated spices have also been recalled."

Johnnae