[Sca-cooks] Sent Sovi and A&S- advice needed

Jim and Andi jimandandi at cox.net
Mon May 25 19:28:23 PDT 2009

I have entered several cooking projects from medieval India, but I
rarely break out of "home base". I fell in lust with The Book of Sent
Sovi (Vogelzang translation 2008) and have one I have been working on
and would love to enter into the next A&S faire.

It is expected in this kingdom that each ingredient in a dish be
separately documented. If the translation lists "parsley", what kind of
parsley was correct for that time/place, etc. I usually find this
information by going through the book's bibliography and ordering
everything possible through ILL, then triaging the books' usefulness,
pillaging each book's bibliographies, xeroxing everything useful, and
then start the whole cycle over again. This time, however, the
bibliography for this translation of Sent Sovi is almost exclusively
books in Spanish or other languages. The few books I know I can get in
English are contemporary but foreign cookbooks. I have reviewed those
books' bibliographies, but haven't yet found anything directly useful to
what I'm studying.

If Spanish background sources are unavailable in English, would you find
roughly contemporary French and Italian sources acceptable for
documenting ingredients in a Spanish book? I don't see much discussion
of ArtSci entries on this list, but any advice would be sincerely
appreciated.

Thank you,
Madhavi of Jaisalmer
House Herava