[Sca-cooks] Sent Sovi and A&S- advice needed

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon May 25 20:12:40 PDT 2009

Parsley (Petroselinum crispum) is a single species with about 30 subspecies
which fall into two main divisions, flat-leafed and curly-leafed.  Prior to
300 BCE, Theophrastus describes both curley-leafed and flat-leafed parsley
varieties.  Pliny provides the information that the Roman's were
particularly fond of parsley as a seasoning.  The two pieces of information
suggest that both types of parsley would have been available and it would
have been the choice of the cook as to which was used.

If you need a more precise answer, I would suggest Charles de L'Ecluse
(Carolus Clusius), Rariorum aliquot stirpium per Hispanias observatarum
historia, 1576

http://www.knaw.nl/publicaties/pdf/20061066_Clusius_05.pdf