[Sca-cooks] Spices in meals: a thought and a question

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Sat May 2 07:17:14 PDT 2009

My apologies.

I was unclear in phrasing my original thought / question.

I meant the use of spices *in meals* in order to make the food
easier to eat while sitting in the alleged stench of the
mediaeval or renaissance room or hall.

If the air stinks (of humans and their smellier activities)
perhaps food is easier to eat if spiced to a greater or lesser
extent.

To exaggerate a bit for effect:

If you can smell your neighbours' armpits at 20 feet, can you only
stomach that lovely slice of venison if it is smothered in a very
aromatic and spicy sauce?

The pleasant scent of the dish, plus the assertive taste, could
both contribute to being able to bring it to the mouth and then
keep it down.

I would be wondering if this reason could be one (possibly minor)
contributing factor to the use of spices in meals.

Thorvald