[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium files for May

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Mon May 11 00:35:41 PDT 2009

Greetings to Gentlefolk of the SCA-Cooks list,

Here is a copy of my monthly Florilegium article for May, detailing
what is new in the Florilegium this month.

I have added an RSS feed for the Florilegium website. If you are
already reading RSS feeds, please add the Florilegium RSS feed to
find out when new and updated files as well as new features get added
to the website. If you are unfamiliar with RSS, or Real Simple
Syndication, is a method built into many web browsers as being
available as a separate tool, which lets you find out when the
contents of your favorite websites has been updated or changed. You
can find out more about RSS at this link as well as elsewhere: http://
rss.softwaregarden.com/aboutrss.html  If you find this feature
useful, please let me know. I have no way of knowing if you are
finding it useful or not through the system itself.

Like much of the economy, web advertising revenue is down. Last month
I requested folks to click on an ad if it seemed interesting. This
did cause a momentary spike in my ad income, which was a big help in
meeting last month's expenses. However, after that couple of days the
ad clicks went way down. If folks can get into the habit of clicking
on an ad when they visit the site it would really help. Even if you
don't buy anything, each click brings ratings up and increases the
amount of money advertisers are willing to pay for each ad displayed.
I'm trying to keep the amount of advertising as small as I can and as
useful as I can.

And if anyone has any contacts in the high-tech industry in Austin,
Texas and would like to join my find-Stefan-a-job club, send me
email. :-)

Thanks,
Stefan

========
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I have added an RSS feed for the Florilegium website. If you are
already reading RSS feeds, please add the Florilegium RSS feed to
find out when new and updated files as well as new features get added
to the website. If you are unfamiliar with RSS, or Real Simple
Syndication, it is a method built into many web browsers, and also
available as a separate tool, which alerts you when the contents of
your favorite websites have been changed.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation
and class handouts will also often work out well. I am especially
interested in A&S papers.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the CLOTHING section:
    pattens-chpns-msg    Medieval pattens and chopines.
In the CRAFTS section:
    Cast-Wood-Mlds-art   "Pewter-Casting in Wood" by by Lady Shara of
                            Starwood, OVO, CMC, AoA
In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
    Stool-ball-art       "Stool ball: an early bat and ball game"
                            by Lady Wenyeva atte grene.
In the FEASTS section:
    feast-spices-msg     Purchasing and storing spices for feasts.
    Perf-P-Feast-msg     Perfectly Period Feast cooked by Mistress
                            Crystal of the Westermark. A medieval
                            feast, with atmosphere, 'done right'.
In the FOOD-BOOKS section:
    Scully-Opera-rev    "Lost in Translation – a critical review of
                           the Scully translation of Scappi's 'Opera'"
                           by Mistress Helewyse de Birkestad.
In the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section:
    flavord-butrs-msg   Period and SCA, flavored butters.
In the FOOD-MEATS section:
    LeMen-Sausags-art   "Le Menagier's Sausages" by Master G.
                           Tacitus Adamantius, OL.
In the PERFORMANCE-ARTS section:
    AS-Prase-Poem-art   "An Anglo-Saxon Praise Poem" by Mistress
                           Siobhán ní hEodhusa.
In the SCA-EVENT-PLANNING section:
    feedg-fightrs-msg   Feeding SCA fighters on the field.
In the SCA-STORIES section:
    SCA-Barbie-art      "Talking SCA Barbie" by unknown author(s).

Here are the updated files for this month.
    butter-msg           Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.
    furniture-msg        Making chests and tables for the SCA. Period
furniture.
    gingerbread-msg      Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
    hotel-events-msg     Holding SCA events in hotels. Suggestions.
    mortar-pestle-msg    Mortar and pestles. Sources.
    pot-lck-ideas-msg    Menu ideas for pot luck feasts and revels.
    shoemaking-msg       Making shoes. More detailed than shoes-msg.
    St-Hildegard-msg     Hildegard von Bingen. writer. References.
---
Copyright 2009, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article
introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas