[Sca-cooks] serving unusual foods

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Tue May 12 09:57:56 PDT 2009

Yeah, I'd only remove the first piece of the pie if it wasn't being
delivered to a table, or maybe
have the server offer to serve the first piece.

The carving stations would have their own equipment and be separate from,
but near to
the eating area.  Knives, fork, block, etc.  You'd want a server to run it
to guarantee portion
control.

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Stefan li Rous
<StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>wrote:

> Cadoc said:
>
> <<< I had already seen people stare blankly at uncut pies, uncarved hunks
> of
> meat, etc at other feasts >>>
>
> For pot lucks it does help to not only precut pies and such, but also to
> remove that first slice. Folks seem to have this aversion to "ruining that
> perfectly good pie" by taking the first piece. Especially if the pie or cake
> is uncut.
>
> <<< But, all that being said, you have to work with what you have on hand.
>   If
> you don't have the serving vessels
> to do a pre-prepped delivery, then maybe you can set up some servers with
> roaming or regional carving stations. >>>
>
> What would you include in a "roaming or regional carving" station? Knife?,
> knives? carving block? If it is roaming, where do you do it? On a cart?
> Tables are often solidly packed with people, which is also another problem
> with expecting someone to carve something at the table - there's no room to
> do so.
>
> <<< I've already wheeled a vat of soup around a feast hall on a kitchen
> cart and
> served people that way.  (it was a
> lot of fun too, well, only if the cart has good wheels...wasn't my feast, I
> was just helping) >>>
>
> Now that, we have discussed.
>
> serving-soups-msg (18K)  4/14/07    Serving soups at SCA feasts.
>   (In the FEASTS section of the Florilegium, for those that might be
> interested)
>
> There is also this file:
> servng-drinks-msg (14K)  8/30/07    Serving drinks and beverages at SCA
> feasts.
>
> And this one:
> Servng-Roylty-art (10K)  1/ 1/06    "When Royalty Graces Your Head Table"
> by
>                                       Dame Alys Katharine, O.L., O.P.
>  (But when serving Royalty, you generally don't carry them around the hall
> on a cart or otherwise...   :-) )
>

> Stefan
> --------
>   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas