[Sca-cooks] Almond Milk

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun May 31 18:49:56 PDT 2009

Urtatim asked about almond milk:

On our local Kingdom cooking list, we're having a discussion of almond
milk. This topic was brought up by a new cook.

Does one make almond milk of:
-- almonds with skin on;
-- almonds soaked overnight in cold water, skin left on;
or some variation thereof.

How finely does one process the almonds:
-- coarsely chopped;
-- finely chopped;
or some variation thereof.

How do the commercial almonds milks compare to homemade, particularly
in flavor and in texture?
I only know of two brands:
-- Pacific Naturals Organic Almond Milk
and
-- Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almond Milk
NOTE: Both now make unsweetened almond milks, but previously only had
sweetened.
  -----------

For a fair amount of commentary, including comments about some of the
variations proposed, see this file in the FOOD section of the
Florilegium:
almond-milk-msg  (100K)  1/12/08    Making almond milk. Recipes.
Deskinning nuts

The folks on that list might also be interested in these similar food
items as well:
almond-cream-msg  (28K)  2/ 7/08    A sweet custard filling used in
sotelties.
marzipan-msg      (98K)  1/ 9/08    Use of marzipan (almond paste) in
sotelties.
    (In the FOOD-SWEETS section)

We've also discussed almond-milk cheese which I've collected some of
the discussion on. I haven't turned it into a file but I can or I can
send the raw messages if someone is interested.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com