[Sca-cooks] citrangula in Avicenna or in Ioannes Damascenus

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon May 4 05:03:03 PDT 2009

--- emilio szabo <emilio_szabo at yahoo.it> schrieb am Mo, 4.5.2009:

> Von: emilio szabo <emilio_szabo at yahoo.it>
> Betreff: [Sca-cooks] citrangula in Avicenna or in Ioannes Damascenus
> An: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
> Datum: Montag, 4. Mai 2009, 13:43
>

> > Scully says citrangula means lemon.
> > Maier says citrangula is a bitter orange.
> > Both refer to fourteenth-century texts.
>

> Which texts? Which languages?

Both Latin, though both influenced by their respective (Italian and French) vernaculars). Scully's identification is for the Opusculum de Saporibus, Maier's for the Liber de Coquina. I've seen citrangula more commonly identified as orange, but that could be a coincidence depending on the texts I have access to.

Giano