[Sca-cooks] Dulce de Leche

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu May 14 16:21:00 PDT 2009

On May 14, 2009, at 6:45 PM, Debra Eccles wrote:

> Does anyone have a good recipe for dulce de leche (candy)?  I'm
> craving it up here in Atlantia and I can't just go down to the store
> and buy it.
>
> Deirdre O'Bardon

One very commonly used method in the US involves either cooking fresh
milk for hours, and then there's a "pressure-cook-unopened-cans-of-
condensed-milk" version, and another method of boiling the cans in a
kettle...

Here's one I recently heard on my local news radio station, though,
that I found intriguing; it uses your oven to slowly cook condensed
milk in a covered pan:

http://multimedia.wcbs880.com/m/audio/22110920/dulce-de-leche.htm?q=dulce+de+leche

I'm assuming that it's in New York City where people don't always know
that sweetened, condensed milk is not the same stuff as evaporated
milk, and not in most parts of Atlantia. Local awareness of this issue
has presumably changed over the years in any case...

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter