[Sca-cooks] Recall on spices and food safety

Moramarsh at aol.com Moramarsh at aol.com
Sat May 16 11:04:13 PDT 2009

Hey, I'm on the west coast and there hasn't been any mention of this in our
 news.

Since we sell spices,  I called my broker, who said it was a limited
outbreak due to improper customs inspection ( or lack of).

He said the major companies require testing of product before they
distribute it bulk or by retail.

So feel free to use other brands.

My question is: Since most seed pods and whole spices are flash heat
pasteurized, how does the germs stay alive?  Are we dealing with a lack of
protocol?  Or a lack of inspectors? Or has the whole quality vs price  broken
down all the respect for the food we eat?

This is how we lost the Szechwan peppercorn several years ago. Someone
didn't process them right and the product carried some citrus disease that
spread to the United States. It was on the banned list until they figured out
what killed the disease and they require all peppercorns to be processed
now.  Thank goodness they solved that problem as the oriental cooking is
somewhat  boring without them.

I am more worried about the chili peppers grown locally and in North
America. Some of the gardening and harvesting techniques haven't been improved
since who knows when.

Mora

In Beautiful Downtown Dreiburgen
Caid

snipped-

In a message dated 5/15/2009 2:10:35 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,